- 3 large, cubed potatoes
- 1 finely sliced, washed leek
- 3 finely minced cloves garlic
- 3 tablespoons Earth Balance, or olive oil
- 3 tablespoons Gluten free flour ( I used Bob’s Red Mill All Purpose)
- 4 Cups Vegetable Stock
- 1 cup Coconut milk ( soy, or almond is fine I just LOVE coconut milk for most recipes)
- 2-3 teaspoons dried, crushed thyme leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- You can use one giant pot for this recipe. Boil the cubed potatoes just until tender but not over-cooked. While the potatoes are cooking, slice your leeks.If you are unfamiliar with leeks, they are in the same family as onions and garlic, meaning they have layers. to slice the leeks, first cut off the little white roots, then on the opposite, very dark green end cut off about 3 inches and discard. Then slice the leek in half length-wise, which will leave you with long U shapes, now wash the leeks peeling back the layers to make sure you get the trapped dirt out, now you will thinly slice it like you would celery, making tiny U’s. Mince your Garlic. Now drain your potatoes and leave in the colander.
- Melt Earth Balance in the now emptied pot over medium heat. Add flour of choice and whisk until the mixture combines, continue to whisk until the mixture is bubbly and thick, about two minutes.
- Add leeks and garlic and cook for two minutes. Stir to prevent burning.
- Add the potatoes
- Slowly add your vegetable broth and stir.
- Add milk and stir again to blend. Add seasonings and simmer over low heat for 15-20 minutes.
- Put the lid on your pot and let it sit for at least 2 hours, your need to let all the flavors absorb into each other.
My family loves this soup, my fiance said it’s even better than the restaurants! Serve this with a piece of heavily buttered brown bread, the recipe for the bread will follow!
Peace & Love,